|Summary of the probe development effort to identify inhibitors of the orphan nuclear receptor subfamily 0, group B, member 1 (DAX1; NR0B1): repression of SF-1 (NR5A1) activated StAR promoter by full-length DAX-1 - BioAssay Summary
Name: Summary of the probe development effort to identify inhibitors of the orphan nuclear receptor subfamily 0, group B, member 1 (DAX1; NR0B1): repression of SF-1 (NR5A1) activated StAR promoter by full-length DAX-1. ..more
Depositor Specified Assays
Source (MLPCN Center Name): The Scripps Research Institute Molecular Screening Center (SRIMSC)
Affiliation: The Scripps Research Institute, TSRI
Assay Provider: Enzo Lalli, CNRS
Network: Molecular Library Probe Production Centers Network (MLPCN)
Grant Proposal Number: R03 DA030558-01
Grant Proposal PI: Enzo Lalli, CNRS
External Assay ID: DAX1-FULL_INH_SUMMARY
Name: Summary of the probe development effort to identify inhibitors of the orphan nuclear receptor subfamily 0, group B, member 1 (DAX1; NR0B1): repression of SF-1 (NR5A1) activated StAR promoter by full-length DAX-1.
Nuclear receptors are a family of small molecule and hormone-regulated transcription factors that share conserved DNA-binding (DBD) and ligand-binding domains (LBD) (1-3). Of interest, DAX-1 (NR0B1; nuclear receptor subfamily 0, group B, member 1; dosage-sensitive sex reversal-adrenal hypoplasia congenita critical region on the X chromosome gene 1) is an orphan nuclear receptor shown to act as a robust transcriptional repressor, inhibiting genes involved in steroidogenesis through interaction with corepressors and regulating the pluripotency of stem cells (4-8). The human DAX-1 gene encodes a protein whose C terminus is similar to the LBD of nuclear hormone receptors, while its N terminus is composed of three cysteine-rich 70 amino acids with little similarity to known proteins (4, 7). Mutations in DAX-1 have been shown to cause the X-linked form of adrenal hypoplasia congenita (AHC), associated with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HHG). AHC-HHG-associated mutations share an altered DAX-1 C-terminal domain (5, 9), resulting in loss of transcriptional repression activity (5, 7, 9), which suggests that impairment of the DAX-1 transcriptional activity is directly linked to AHC-HHG pathogenesis. In addition, DAX-1 is highly expressed in pediatric Ewing tumors (10). As a result, the identification of selective inhibitors of DAX-1 will serve as useful tools to elucidate its roles of in steroidogenesis, tumorigenesis, and maintenance of stem cell pluripotency (8).
1. Evans RM. The nuclear receptor superfamily: a rosetta stone for physiology. Mol Endocrinol 19: 1429-1438, 2005.
2. Kliewer SA, Lehmann JM, and Willson TM. Orphan nuclear receptors: shifting endocrinology into reverse. Science 284: 757-760, 1999.
3. Li Y, Lambert MH, and Xu HE. Activation of nuclear receptors: a perspective from structural genomics. Structure 11: 741-746, 2003.
4. Lalli, E., M. H. Melner, D. M. Stocco, and P. Sassone-Corsi. DAX-1 blocks steroid production at multiple levels. Endocrinology 139: 4237-4243, 1998.
5. Ito, M., R. Yu, and J. L. Jameson. DAX-1 inhibits SF-1-mediated transactivation via a carboxy-terminal domain that is deleted in adrenal hypoplasia congenita. Mol. Cell. Biol. 17: 1476-1483, 1997.
6. Zazopoulos, E., E. Lalli, D. M. Stocco, and P. Sassone-Corsi. DNA binding and transcriptional repression by DAX-1 blocks steroidogenesis. Nature 390: 311-315, 1997.
7. Lalli, E., B. Bardoni, E. Zazopoulos, J.-M. Wurtz, T. M. Strom, D. Moras, and P. Sassone-Corsi. A transcriptional silencing domain in DAX-1 whose mutation causes adrenal hypoplasia congenita. Mol. Endocrinol. 11: 1950-1960, 1997.
8. Lalli E, Alonso J. Targeting DAX-1 in embryonic stem cells and cancer. Expert Opin Ther Targets 14: 169-77, 2010.
9. Zanaria, E., F. Muscatelli, B. Bardoni, T. M. Strom, S. Guioli, W. Guo, E. Lalli, C. Moser, A. P. Walker, E. R. B. McCabe, T. Meitinger, A. P. Monaco, P. Sassone-Corsi, and G. Camerino. 1994. An unusual member of the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily responsible for X-linked adrenal hypoplasia congenita. Nature 372:635-641.
10. Mendiola M, Carrillo J, Garcia E, Lalli E, Hernandez T, de Alava E, Tirode F, Delattre O, Garcia-Miguel P, Lopez-Barea F, Pestana A, Alonso J. The orphan nuclear receptor DAX1 is up-regulated by the EWS/FLI1 oncoprotein and is highly expressed in Ewing tumors. Int J Cancer. 2006 Mar 15;118(6):1381-9.
Summary, Summary AID, transactivation, co-transfection, reporter, luc, lumi, luminescence, luciferase, promoter, StAR, SF-1, NR5A1, DAX-1, Dax, Dax1, NR0B1, dosage-sensitive sex reversal, adrenal hypoplasia critical region, on chromosome X, gene 1, orphan, nuclear, nuclear receptor, NR, X chromosome, inhibit, inhibitor, antagonist, adrenal, gonad, steroidogenic, hormone, AHC, stem cell, Ewing, tumor, cancer, primary screen, singlicate, HTS, high throughput screen, 1536, Scripps Florida, The Scripps Research Institute Molecular Screening Center, SRIMSC, Molecular Libraries Probe Production Centers Network, MLPCN.