Fluorescence Cell-Based Dose Response to Confirm Inhibitors of Thrombin Receptor-Activating Peptide SFLLRN-Mediated P-Selectin Induction on Platelets
Keywords: Platelet, activation, P-selectin, SFLLRN, PAR1, thrombin receptor, alpha-granule, secretion ..more
BioActive Compounds: 8
Keywords: Platelet, activation, P-selectin, SFLLRN, PAR1, thrombin receptor, alpha-granule, secretion
Cell-based assay for inhibition of SFLLRN-induced P-selectin surface expression. Washed platelets obtained from individual donors were treated with a selection of compounds resourced as powders found to be active in secondary assays. Platelet samples were tested at 10uM, 3uM, 1uM, 0.3uM, and 0uM concentrations. Following compound addition, platelets were subsequently stimulated with 5 mM SFLLRN. After a 15-minute incubation, phycoerythrin-labeled anti-P-selectin antibody (BD Biosciences) was added for a 20-minute incubation. The samples were analyzed by flow cytometry to determine P-selectin expression on the surface of the platelets as a response to activation. Geometric mean values were collected for each sample.
This assay serves as a gate for the defined probe paths. A moderate decrease in the amount of P-selectin expressed on the surface of platelets in a dose-dependent manner will identify compounds that inhibit pathways that regulate granule secretion or G-protein coupled receptors (GPCR) expressed on the surface of platelets. Lack of substantial inhibition of surface expression of P-selectin is indicative of compounds that might selectively effect dense granule secretion. Additional secondary testing will further delineate the specificity of the probes.
Primary Collaborators(and laboratory where this assay was performed):
Robert Flaumenhaft,Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center,firstname.lastname@example.org,617-754-1204
1. Platelet samples (10 ul) were tested at different concentrations of compound (100uM, 30uM, 1uM, 0.3uM, and 0uM for cherry-picks and 30uM, 10uM, 1uM, 0.3uM, and 0uM for powders).
2. 20 minutes following compound addition, platelets were stimulated with 5 uM thrombin-receptor-derived hexapeptide SFLLRN from 100 uM stock.
3. After a 15-minute incubation, phycoerythrin-labeled anti-P-selectin antibody (5 ul; BD Biosciences) was added. The samples were agitated gently.
4. After a 20-minute incubation, 500 ul of FACS buffer (BD Biosciences) was added to each of the samples.
5. Samples were then analyzed by flow cytometry to determine P-selectin expression on the surface of the platelets as a response to activation.
6. Geometric mean fluorescence values were collected for each sample.
The neutral control was: DMSO only, with no compound.
Four compound concentrations were tested: 10uM, 3uM, 1uM, 0.3uM.
Percent inhibition of induced P-selectin expression was calculated based on the assumption that complete (100% ) inhibition is attainable, as:
100 - (100 * (Mean Fluorescence at dose/ Mean Fluorescence at DMSO))
The average of percent inhibition across two replicates is reported for each compound concentration in each run.
EC50 was determined to be the lowest concentration that supported >= 50% of Maximum Activity.
The average percent inhibition value at the tested concentration 1uM.
Activity_Outcome = 1 (inactive)
EC50 >= 3uM
Activity_Outcome = 2 (active)
EC50 < 3uM
Several compounds were retested at least once. These retests were analyzed as independent tests; therefore each test generated a separate set of curve data, including PUBCHEM_ACTIVITY_SCORE, PUBCHEM_ACTIVITY_OUTCOME, and EC50.
Categorized Comment - additional comments and annotations
* Activity Concentration. ** Test Concentration.
Data Table (Concise)